"In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps." Proverbs 16:9

Saturday, November 20, 2010

Helpless and Hopeful


On Wednesday, November 10, I was sitting in the carpool line waiting to pick our daughter up from preschool when I got an e-mail from our family coordinator informing us that Elias had malaria. I immediately called Charlie, but wasn't even able to get all of the information across to him because I was crying so hard. My heart was completely broken for my son. I was worried about this disease that I knew so little about, but more than anything I felt completely helpless. I wanted so badly to hold him, comfort him, and do everything mommies do when their babies are sick. I knew he was being well cared for in our agency's transition home, but it didn't do much to relieve my helplessness and worry for him. We called our pediatrician right away and also began doing research online.

Malaria is not normally seen in the capital city, Addis Ababa, so our guess is that Elias had it before coming to the transition home. Malaria can be fatal if not treated with medication, and we are so grateful that God allowed Elias to be in the transition home during this time, so that the proper care and medication were available to him. I hate the thought of our precious boy laying there suffering without his mommy and daddy. I am glad for the doctors, nurses, and nannies who took such good care of him, but I wish it had been us. I want so badly to bring him home.

Many, many prayers were said on behalf of our little one, and we are incredibly grateful. On Wednesday, November 17, we got an update that Elias was cured of his malaria and is now completely healthy! Thank you, Lord for holding our son in the palm of Your hand and caring for him way more than I ever could! My heart is filled with joy and praise!!

No comments:

Post a Comment